Pet peeves. We all have them. Most of them are legitimately burn-at-the-stake worthy. Some are borderline OCD-ish but others are just plain ridiculous.
Because I have taken notice of the fact that my family tends to look at me with alternating head tilts – much like that of long floppy eared puppies, I thought I would share the seemingly kooky things that I subject them to. I mentioned to my husband that I wanted to write on this topic and asked him what he thought some of my pet peeves were. He gave me a look and sat down like we were about to have an important family meeting. That really said a lot. Here is a (shortened) list of what we came up with.
- Making a sandwich. I absolutely hate for cheese to be on top of cheese. I have to alternate meat (when I used to eat it) then cheese. If they make me a sandwich and do not alternate, I rearranged it myself. NO TOUCHING CHEESE!
- I will not eat anything that I see that has been sitting unattended or uncovered. It doesn’t matter if it’s refrigerated or in my own home. Keep it covered. The same goes for drinks. If I put my cup down it will most likely get tossed if it’s not covered. If it’s in a can, it’s as good as garbage because I can’t see inside of a can.
- Please, please, LAWD JEEZUZ PLEASE do not let the corn touch my rice and don’t you ever, ever, ever let the gravy touch my cornbread. There is an exception to this, however. I do allow yellow and wild rice to conjugate with the kernels.
- I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: There is no K in Street and no T in shrimp!
- PEOPLE WHO TYPE EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS!
- Females who clip and paint their nails at work – This. Really. Grinds. My. Gears.
- People who walk on the escalator. I’m not walking so you will be mad if you come up behind me. If I wanted to walk I would have used the stairs.
- Chronic selfie takers. That’s self-explanatory.
- Loud gum chewers. That’s also self-explanatory.
- Children with dirty noses and the parents who let them walk around that way. No, I’m not smiling at your little snotty nose baby. Instead of buying cigarettes and soda by some napkins or wipes! UGH!
- The fact that my children, apparently, only speak Klingon because I have to animatedly repeat myself in the only language I know. English.
So there you have it. I don’t think I’m as bad as they think I am. Yes, there are a few other items that I can throw on this list but I don’t want you to know how weird I really am.
What are those things that really grind your gears?