Relationships have a natural lifespan. They come and they go. Depending on various internal and external factors, in some instances, you’ll be excited to see someone leave your life. Other times, it can be quite painful. With that being said, it’s important to know when a relationship has reached its natural end.
Check out these three signs that your relationship is no longer within its limits of usefulness:
- Frustration persists. Have you ever been in a relationship with someone where everything they do frustrates you? Do you often wonder if you’re the cause of the ill feelings? In reality, it may just be because your relationship has run its course.
- When someone’s actions begin to frustrate you, it usually means that both of you aren’t as aligned as you were before. Work on that alignment if the relationship is meaningful to you. If not, consider going your separate ways.
- Are you patiently waiting for someone in your life to see eye to eye with you? It’s possible that you’re trying to force a relationship that’s meant to dissolve naturally.
- Trust is broken. When you put your utmost confidence and trust in someone, you expect them to hold up to their end of the deal. When that doesn’t happen, you feel hurt and brokenhearted. Sometimes, that’s a sign that it’s time to separate from that person.
- Have you broken someone’s trust? Your decision to apologize and ask for forgiveness is a good start. But if that doesn’t mend the hurt you caused, it may be a sign to move on from the relationship.
- If someone has broken your trust, you have to decide whether or not you’re willing to move forward in trying to repair the relationship.
- Your peace of mind is the most important factor. If you find you’re unable to restore your peace of mind after trust is broken, perhaps the relationship is irretrievable.
- Paths are changing. Sometimes you meet someone at a specific stage in your life and it feels like you’re meant to be. Then one day, your viewpoints and paths start to change.
- Changing paths doesn’t always mean a separation is imminent. But if both of you are passionate about opposing views, it means that there will be difficulty steering in one direction. It may be time to let go.
- Sometimes the person you’re with does something that causes you to see them in a different light. It’s possible that they’ve changed. But it’s also possible that you’re only now just seeing their true colors.
- It’s fine to realize that paths are changing for you and someone you’re in a relationship with. Change is inevitable.
Avoid being scared of going separate ways with someone who once meant the world to you. It’s possible that the purpose of them coming into your life was to help you discover yourself. Self-discovery is one of the greatest things you can experience.
If learning more about yourself means letting go of a part of your life that no longer works, go for it! You’re here to live the best life you possibly can and, sometimes, that involves choosing appropriate people to live that life with you.
Do you know your love language? No? I recommend taking the 5 Love Languages® official assessment Learn your love language and equip yourself with new knowledge that you can use to improve your relationships.